Sunday, April 12, 2009

Milsurp Arrival

Picked up a K31 Schmidt-Rubin carbine on Saturday. Walnut stock, nice clean bore, $219 at Classic Arms.

Here's a pic:



It does of course need some cleaning: stored for decades, it has protective cosmoline inside and out which needs to be removed. The stock, made of walnut, has received dings, dents and scratches during its lifetime, which can perhaps be removed or lessened with a bit of effort with a steam iron, damp cloth and some sandpaper, or maybe not; I have yet to make a final decision. At the very least, however, the cosmoline needs to be removed from the bore, the interior metal parts, and especially from the bolt, which will need to be disassembled for this process. I've heard that underneath the steel buttplate can often be found a paper with the name of the original Swiss soldier who long ago possessed this rifle. I've read tales of milsurp purchasers who traced down these old soldiers to let them know the fate of their old rifles.

All this, and I get to shoot it, too.

*grins happily*

4 comments:

MauserMedic said...

Beautiful rifles; sadly, I've owned one for several years, and have yet to fire it. I need to fix that.

Will you be reloading, or buying surplus?

Bob said...

@MauserMedic: I'll start off by buying some commercial stuff, I notice that Wolf FMJ can be had for around $15 and change for 20 rounds. I think that Swiss mil-surp, when it's available, is high quality. I've never reloaded before, but the calibers I have here at home (.45LC, .45ACP, and now the 7.5x55) would probably be easier on my bank account if I start reloading.

TOTWTYTR said...

You're going to love the K31. It's fun to shoot, although it has more recoil than I expected.


Swiss surplus is getting rare, although I think SOG in Ohio had some a few weeks ago at about $29 for 60 rounds.

Borepatch said...

You made Baby Vulcan smile!

I think that Box o' Truth had a good article on cleaning cosmoline.