Tuesday, April 13, 2010

That Would Give Me The Horrors

Two people fishing at the Intracoastal Waterway near Oak Island, NC, became mired in marsh mud to the armpits after their rubber fishing raft deflated.

That plays into one of my worst phobias, the quicksand phobia. I grew up watching Tarzan movies and other such fare on TV, and watched numerous people die on screen in the horrible stuff. As a teenager I once encountered some on the shore of the lake I lived at in Florida when one of my neighbors added beach sand to his shoreline; the sand for some reason didn't settle properly and became "quick," which made me scream like a girl when I first encountered it, then discovered it was fun to play in when I realized it wasn't a bottomless bog.

Anyway, these two ended up in black marsh mud up to their armpits and had to be rescued by the county sheriff, patrolling in his airboat. This is yet another reason that I distrust rafts and other inflatable watercraft; anything that inflates can (and often will) deflate without warning.

No comments: