Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Another Terrier Breed Facing Extinction

I blogged about the Glen of Imaal Terrier being in danger of extinction back in October.

Now, word comes of another terrier breed in danger of dying out: The Sealyham Terrier.

Unlike the Glen of Imaal, I've actually heard of Sealyhams. They're small terriers, typically white:



Apparently tail-docking laws have caused the breed to lose popularity; I guess a long-tailed Sealyham must gain in ugliness, or something. Maybe they use their tails as whips. According to the article, popularity of Shih-Tzus is also a factor.

Too bad, they're a handsome dog.

3 comments:

TedH71 said...

I know. I have been considering getting a pup from a breeder in Topeka, KS. Am worried about the price tag though.

TedH71 said...

I know. I am considering getting one from a breeder in Topeka, KS. Am worried about the price tag though.

Nicole, jack russell training expert said...

It's sad to hear that these cute breeds are coming to extinction. I just hope that whoever owns one right now, must take care of them really well.