Monday, August 09, 2010

Battleship North Carolina Attendance Record

And in July.

Folks, I've been on board that ship a couple of times, and believe me, you don't want to be onboard during the warm months because of the poor A/C and ventilation. Sara and I went in early spring and found it nearly unbearable; I can't even imagine how hot it must get in July, especially the ultra-humid and steamy July just past. There seems to be one really well-ventilated place on the ship, near the mess decks, and when you reach it you just stop and stand there, letting the cooler air dry off the sweat on your soaking clothes. Then you move on.

I myself probably wouldn't ever visit it again unless it's fall or winter.

1 comment:

Murphy's Law said...

I went aboard back on a January weekday, and I had the whole ship to myself. It was still warm enough that an alligator was floating off the starboard bow in the marsh, and as an added bonus, I managed to obtain access to one of the unrestored gun turrets by climbing down the ladder in the shell hoist shaft with my Surefire in my mouth. Best part of the tour by far! Nearly forty minutes in parts of the ship that probably hadn't seen a person in years and I didn't even get caught and kicked off like I usually do when I take self-guided behind-the-scenes tours on old historic ships.