Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Car Update

Two alternators and a radiator later I'm back on the road *knock on wood*. Apparently there was a pinhole in the radiator spraying fluid into the alternator; I don't know if it was what caused the original alternator to fail, or if my nephew punctured it when he replaced the alternator the first time. The pinhole was discovered by the neighbor mechanic, who owns a shop down the road. He gave me the neighbor's labor charge of $100, bless him. Combined with $100 to pay for the new radiator and $100 to pay for a new battery, I've spent $400 on the car in the last month. Had to pawn a pistol to pay for today's work; I'll redeem the pawn two weeks from now.

4 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

I hope that takes care of your car issues, Bob. That's enough for awhile, no?

Bob said...

@Rev. Paul: sadly, I really need to get my front brakes done.

og said...

Bob: brakes are pretty damned easy. I can just about walk you through them over the phone. If you have any kind of a jack, some solid landscape blocks to hold the car up, and are willing to even try I bet you can do this easily. You probably don't even need rotors, but if you do here's the whole project in pictures.

http://s790.photobucket.com/user/veryseniorgeek/library/?sort=3&page=1

Bob said...

@Og: I have a nephew who is pretty good with cars, works in a garage on Saturdays. He's already said he'll do the brakes for me. Thanks for the offer, though, I truly appreciate it.