Thursday, June 26, 2014

Nine Sacketts and Two Kerbouchards

I've been re-reading a bunch of Louis L'Amour's books lately, after about a 20-year break. In his afterword to Ride The River, Louis promised ten more Sackett novels, one of which (Jubal Sackett) he completed before his untimely death. He also promised two more Kerbouchard novels, and those, of course, were never written, either. I was living in Spain when Louis died, and by great good fortune I had written to him not long before and gotten his autograph on a self-addressed, stamped postcard, which I still have, and treasure.

Personally I think that Louis L'Amour's novels should be taught in US schools, starting at around age ten or so, as examples of what makes this country great: honesty, self-reliance, the importance of family and the value of hard work to achieve one's dreams.

No comments: