Thursday, January 17, 2019

I've Never Karaoked...

...but a band at a local venue is asking for volunteers to sing Tom Waits songs, and I'm tempted to give it a try. My problem is that I don't have the necessary years of cigarettes and bourbon required to pull off Waits's gravelly shouting without my being reduced to a coughing fit. I even know what song I'd choose, and for a little bit of showmanship I'd take a swig from a hip flask before starting to sing. Here's what I'd choose:



Lyrics:

Anywhere I Lay My Head (Waits)

My head is spinning round, my heart is in my shoes, yeah
I went and set the Thames on fire, oh, now I must come back down
She's laughing in her sleeve boys, I can feel it in my bones
Oh, but anywhere I'm gonna lay my head, I'm gonna call my home

Well I see that the world is upside-down
Seems that my pockets were filled up with gold
And now the clouds, well they've covered over
And the wind is blowing cold
Well I don't need anybody, because I learned, I learned to be alone
Well I said anywhere, anywhere, anywhere I lay my head, boys
Well I gonna call my home


1 comment:

Borepatch said...

Weirdly, I've sort of gotten into karaoke in the last few months. It helps that the Queen Of The World's eyes shine when I do it.