Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Broken Hip

While I was at work last night, my 87-year-old mother fell in the bathroom and broke her hip. My sister got her back to her couch, where she lay in pain for the remainder of the night until I came home. After studying her closely for a bit (she's a hypochondriac who fakes Fred Sanford-style death scenes monthly) I realized that she was in actual pain, and called her doctor, who advised me to call an ambulance to take her to the hospital.

I'm back now about 7 hours later. The doctors found a small fracture, and surgery will have to be scheduled. I don't know if this is the beginning of the end for her, she has no chronic illnesses, although she is feeble and mostly bedridden. She has a profound fear of dying, enough to require maximum dosage tranquilizers to keep her rational.

So - - Blogging might be light for a while. Kind thoughts appreciated.

Update: Surgery completed, doctor says all went well. I'll visit later this morning, take my mother some belongings that she'll need. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

4 comments:

Home on the Range said...

I do hope that they can relieve any pain she has, and her recovery is minimal. We all understand the light blogging. You take care of your family. That is always the most important thing.

A prayer will be on the way for her.
God Bless.
Brigid

the pawnbroker said...

kind thoughts and a request for God's mercy from us here.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your Mom has a lot of life in her.

I wish her fast healing and no pain!

All the best, for you and your family!

dc

MauserMedic said...

If it's a matter of simple pinning rather than a complete replacement, she could be back to her routine in short order. Best wishes for you and your mother.