Thursday, September 30, 2010

Heinlein On "One World"

Lastly, this trip around the world cured me of One-Worldism; I have fully recovered and am as immune to it as I am to measles. The idea of one sovereign world nation, free forever of the peril of war, working together in peace and harmony, is an appealing one. I do wish we could afford it. But, the earth and the human race being what they are, we cannot...not unless we are willing to accept the logical and inevitable consequences. "One World" means a situation in which the United States is not sovereign. That means that the United States would be outvoted...which just as certainly means that they would swarm over us immediately after counting the votes.

That which I am willing to fight for I am not willing to surrender as a result of counting noses in China and India. Therefore, no World State for me. It's a trap.
(ellipsis in original)

- - From Tramp Royale

2 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

He was an intelligent & thoughtful man. While I don't agree with everything he preached, his views on society/gov't/humanity - in general - are right on the money.

Derfel Cadarn said...

I am a sovereign individual living in a sovereign nation.I too will not surrender. LIBERTY or DEATH!