Saturday, May 10, 2008

US Military and Okinawa

The Stars and Stripes newspaper has three articles today on relations between the US military and the populace of Okinawa, and the influence that the Okinawan media has in fomenting calls for the military to leave the island.

Okinawa's Newspapers: At War With The U.S. Military?

Newspapers On Okinawa Claim Fair Reporting.

Okinawans Have Mixed Feelings On U.S. Military.

Basically, the Okinawa papers have been giving heavy emphasis to crimes committed by US military members, even though they commit fewer crimes per capita than the civilian population of Okinawa.

Personally, I'm an old-fashioned isolationist; were I President, I'd close all foreign bases, reduce the US military by two thirds, use the savings to pay for US infrastructure, security and a reinforced southern border. Let Europe deal with Russian and the Muslim immigration problem on their own. Guarantee the security of Israel and Taiwan until such time as they no longer require it.

And if Europe embroils itself in another world war? Fuck 'em. I'm tired of the US being treated like shit after all we've sacrificed for those useless people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bob - you are so right. I'd do a very similar thing if I were in charge, with one added comment.

Were I in charge, I'd put the world on notice that if attacked, either directly or indirectly (i.e. our protectorates) the nuclear option would ALWAYS be the first option considered. I might not use it first every time, but it would be appropriate some of the time, and I'd use it enough to make US citizens safe the world over.