Saturday, July 12, 2008

Back To 55 MPH?

Senator John Warner of Virginia wants to reinstate the national 55-mph speed limit, with the idea of fuel savings.

Unlike most people, I never really objected to 55. I'm an extremely conservative driver; I have nothing to prove to anyone on the highway, and I'm not addicted to cars or driving fast. I like a leisurely pace when driving, although I know that most of my fellow citizens don't share my preference. The measure saves a lot of fuel, though, so it's worth at least discussing.

1 comment:

Alice H said...

55 mph turns a 9-hour drive from Denver to Oklahoma City into a twelve-hour drive. From a purely selfish standpoint, this means there's no way I'll be able to make the drive in one day with two kids. Which means I'll have to rent a hotel room at a minimum of $75 a night, each way. And it means I'll have to pay for at least one extra meal for men and the kids on the road, since my giant gas-guzzling SUV doesn't have room for a kitchen in it. 55 vs 75 barely gains me one mile per gallon, anyway.

Not to mention the cost in human life as parents everywhere bludgeon their kids for the sake of peace and quiet when their trip has become 25% longer.