Friday, March 09, 2012

1911 Mods

My 1911 is a Springfield Armory GI model in stainless steel, which I note is no longer offered by Springfield. The only difference between the Springer and a genuine WWII 1911 is the internal lock system that Springfield added to comply with Massachusetts and California gun laws. I don't much like internal locks, so I ordered a new mainspring housing and mainspring kit from Brownell's and replaced the one that came with the gun. The new mainspring housing is made by Wilson, is the straight style rather than curved, and is sharply checkered. It's possible I might smooth the checkering out later, but for now it's fine. I also swapped out the recoil spring plunger tube, which for some strange reason was blued steel instead of stainless.

Only other alterations I'm going to make to this particular 1911 is to install some 3-dot sights, and have it dehorned. Other than that I'm quite happy with it.

Update, per request for photos:

Before (click to embiggen):



After:

2 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Sounds like fun.

We need before-and-after pictures, please.

Home on the Range said...

Sweet!!!