Friday, January 09, 2009

Gran Torino: Music

Like many of you, I am expecting a lot out of Clint Eastwood's new movie Gran Torino. I've been reading the reviews and they are good, mostly. Eastwood is his usual scowling, menacing self.

I'd like to point in a different direction, if I might. Go to the Gran Torino website and take a listen to the music playing, composed by Eastwood in collaboration with his son Kyle and pianist Michael Stevens. It's haunting and quite beautiful. Variety has an article about Eastwood's work as a musician and composer, and it's quite worth reading.

3 comments:

the pawnbroker said...

i've gotta go see it...

i love eastwood anyway, plus the first new car wifey and i bought was a '74 gran torino...chocolate metallic with vinyl roof and opera windows...yeah, it was a sled, but we loved that thing.

dirty harry writing scores, huh? i don't know if i wanted to know that.

jtc

Bob said...

He's been writing tunes for a while now and making musical contributions to his movies. I remember seeing a composing credit attached to his name as far back as Heartbreak Ridge, and maybe even earlier.

Bob said...

As for me, car-wise, I loved the look of the 66-67 GTO's and the 1971 Plymouth Roadrunners with their goggle-shaped grills. I think I've mentioned Volkswagen Things before, too. I'd want one of those for a beach buggy.