Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My Mosin-Nagant M38 Carbine

I bought my Mosin-Nagant M38 carbine a few months ago. It was cheap ($99.00 cheap), in good condition (rearsenaled Izvezhk production) and ammo is cheap and plentiful. I purchased a black plastic stock for it, but was never happy with it, because the stock is sized to look appropriate on a full-length Mosin-Nagant 91/30, not a carbine like the M38, so instead of looking graceful and modern, it simply looked stubby and wrong.

Thus I decided to refinish the original wooden stock that came with the rifle. For the last several days I've been sanding, stripping, and applying boiled linseed oil to the wood; this morning, with the wood dry and attractive, I reassembled the rifle, and it looks like this:



I like the look of this pale oiled stock more than the dark varnish that came with the rifle. I'm satisfied.

Note: if you wish to finish a Mosin-Nagant in a similar fashion, I'd recommend starting by using stripper on all the varnished parts of the stock, it will save you a lot of sanding. I used the stripper on the upper handguard after sanding the rest of the stock dry, and the varnish after a half hour simply wiped off entirely. I cursed quite a bit at all the hours of sanding I would have saved by stripping it all off before ever grabbing a sanding block.

3 comments:

TOTWTYTR said...

Those M38s are nice rifles. I have one and a 91/59 as well. The 91/59s were made from 91/30s that were cut down. They are supposed to have heavier recievers than the M38 and M44 carbines, but I can't tell the difference.

If you haven't shot yours yet, be prepared for about three feet of muzzle blast as the ammunition was designed for the much longer barreled 91/30.

Still a lot of fun to shoot.

Borepatch said...

Wow - you made it look purty!

Unknown said...

Another way of removing varnish is using a heat gun. The heat causes the varnish to melt and bubble away from the wood and does not leave any chemicals which may inhibit bonding of new varnish.

But linseed oil is a great protectant, too. The project looks very nice.