Thursday, January 12, 2012

Meanwhile, Down In Charleston...

...conservators removed a truss from the Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley.

The article doesn't really explain what the truss was used for, but I'd guess that it held the boat immobile so that it wouldn't break apart. If I'm wrong, someone please let me know.

With the truss gone, treatment of the boat's hull to keep it from further deterioration will now proceed.

Here's a pic; the boat is in pretty good shape, considering it was on the bottom of Charleston harbor for over 100 years:

5 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

I still think that's just totally cool.

ProudHillbilly said...

Dad wore a truss until he had surgery...

Seriously, I have been to Charleston many times and never managed to be there when I could go see the Hunley - so frustrating.

Drat. Now I'm dreaming of Folly Beach... And dinner at Poogan's Porch...

Irish said...

Good morning Bob,

The Truss is the assembly they used to lift and support the sub.

See this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWI0ogl-4lY

Bob said...

@PISSED: Thanks!

Irish said...

You're welcome :)

I beat my alarm by two hours :(
so I'm randomly going thru the sidebar and that caught my eye :)