Friday, January 20, 2012

That Hipster, Buddy Holly Vibe

The US Military is getting rid of the "birth control glasses" or "BDC" eyewear issued to recruits in boot camp.

I'm glad. My first military ID card featured them. I had to keep that hideous ID card with its image of a young, shaven-headed, moon-faced Bob peering nearsightedly through those black specs until I made E4.

Here's what the new boots will get:



Here's the funny paragraph I quoted in the post title:

The glasses, with a hipster, Buddy Holly vibe, will soon be the rage on recruits’ faces in Great Lakes, Ill., Parris Island, S.C., Fort Sill, Okla., Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, and elsewhere.

I wonder if they'll be called HBHV's by the recruits?

1 comment:

MauserMedic said...

When I went through Basic, they didn't let us wear the glasses in the ID picture. So what I got (and I wish I still had) looked like a sleep-deprived, homicidal Uncle Fester. I'd pay money to have the ID card now, if just so I could use the photo for online purposes.