Thursday, May 03, 2012

Rest In Peace, Little Marine

Boy made honorary Marine before death.

FLORA, Ind. (WLFI) - 12-year-old Cody Green has always admired the strength and courage of the marines. At 12:35 Saturday afternoon, it was the Marines admiring the strength and courage of Cody.

Cody had leukemia since he was 22 months old, but beat the disease three times. Although he was cancer-free, the chemotherapy lowered his immune system and Saturday afternoon, he died from a fungus that attacked his brain. Members of the Marines decided to step in and do something.

"They decided Cody, with the strength and honor and courage he showed through the whole thing, he should be a Marine," said Cody's father David Snowberger.

Cody was given Marine navigator wings and was made an honorary member of the United States Marine Corps. For one Marine, that wasn't enough, so he did even more.

"The night before Cody passed, he stood guard at Cody's door at the hospital all night long for eight hours straight," said Snowberger.


Damn. I Have something in my eye.


h/t Weasel Zippers.

4 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

That thing in your eye? It's contagious.

BobG said...

Must be something going around; I seem to have it too.

Borepatch said...

No better friend, no worse foe.

Grayson said...

If no one objects, there's a short poem that I think might be appropriate this day; it was written by an anonymous soldier....

'If I no more should waken on this earth
To greet the daily miracle of dawn,
I shall have known much of deepest worth
Then do not weep for me when I am gone.

High service has been mine, and prayer, and dreaming,
Of that new world which sacrifice should bring
Oh, I have soared to realms where stars are gleaming,
And raced translucent clouds on silvered wing.

I perish, if I perish, well aware,
That life is not too great a price to give,
For truth and freedom. Do not then despair,
When I am gone, but lift your hearts and LIVE!
I shall have conquered Earth's confining sod,
And willingly gone forth to walk with God.'

Amen.
And if anyone out there knows who wrote those magnificent words, could you please post a comment and let me know?
Thank you.