Thursday, September 04, 2008

Any Paulo Coelho Fans Out There?

Sarah Palin is fond of the quote A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not why ships are built. The first place I saw it was in one of Paulo Coelho's books, so I thought that he came up with it. I emailed him at his website to ask, and in the meanwhile researched it on Google, and found it was by a gentleman named John Shedd. I emailed Coelho to apologize for disturbing him, explaining what I had discovered.

Coelho replied to my email today with a friendly reply, including an aphorism of his own. I won't quote from his reply, since it was a private email, but I'll put the email in my folder of treasured correspondence.

If any of you out there haven't read any of Paulo Coelho's books, he's well worth reading. The Alchemist is his most famous work, and is going to be made into a Hollywood movie, which will probably be as bad as most adaptations of great books, but such things happen. Anyway, give it a read, you'll be transformed.

No comments: