Monday, June 06, 2011

Boy Scout Knives

A couple of pics of some of my Boy Scout pattern knives. I was never much into scouting, other than a single year of Cub Scouts, but I've always loved the knives. It's one of the most useful folding knife patterns available. If you take into account Swiss Army knives, which are nothing but fancier versions of the Boy Scout pattern, then it's probably the most popular knife pattern in the world.

Anyway, here's a pic of four of mine:



Three of these are genuine Boy Scout knives featuring markings identifying them as such. From top to bottom:

An old Ulster knife I purchased off of eBay. Rather rusty when I got it, I cleaned it up a bit.

Two Remington reproductions from 2009 and 2010. These are still available online at various places, I bought mine from Smoky Mountain Knife Works. They are reproductions of 1924-era Boy Scout knives.

The bottom knife is my Every Day Carry (EDC) knife, made by Keen Kutter.

The two Remington knives have a very old-fashioned two-piece can opener that isn't usually made any more, because the one-piece hook can opener is stronger and more efficient. If you purchase one of these Remington reproductions, you should probably grind off part of the thumb flange used to open the can opener so that it doesn't rip your pocket up:

Left: Unaltered Knife. Right: Altered For Pocket Carry.

1 comment:

Butch Cassidy said...

As much as I adore my everyday Victorinox Soldier knife, I drool over the old Boy Scout knives.

Yard-sale season is almost upon the area. I'll have to keep an eye out.