Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Poll: Afterlife or Oblivion?

Author Stephen King, in an NPR interview, discusses some aspects of his life, including his changing views on the existence of God.

This interview got me to thinking about my own conflicted attitudes toward first causes and a possible afterlife. I've been conflicted for years between rational, science-based thought and the Catholicism of my childhood. I've gone through periods where I considered myself an agnostic, even an atheist, but find that I hate the idea that the traditional lifespan of threescore and ten is all there is. It's life's greatest mystery. Tied up into my own conflicting ball of emotions on the subject is a great deal of self-hatred, an acknowledgement that I've been a lazy, shiftless and petty excuse for a human being, so any traditional afterlife has me worried rather than eager.

I'm curious as to what my readers think about the subject, so let me dictate a poll question in very simple terms, offered as a choice: you can, upon your death, choose to participate in an afterlife. You will have absolutely no foreknowledge of its nature, you have to take what is offered; no do-overs, second chances or endless resurrections as you might find in a video game. The other choice is oblivion, nothingness: the state you enter when you sleep and aren't dreaming. Total unawareness, irrevocable. What would your choice be? Feel free to offer details in comments, if you like.

Oblivion or Afterlife?
  
pollcode.com free polls 

3 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

I'm sure it's no surprise that I believe the Bible's admonition ("Everyone has to die once, then face the consequences.")

TinCan Assassin said...

Even God thinks it's better to exist than not. For those that reject Him, He created a place where they can go to avoid Him.

As for the shiftless and lazy, might I suggest praying to St. Dismas, the good thief? If there's anyone whose BTDT, it's him.

And a daily Rosary can't hurt, either.

ProudHillbilly said...

"I've been conflicted for years between rational, science-based thought and the Catholicism of my childhood." Not mutually exclusive - the logic and rational thought of the Church was one of the things that drew me to her as an adult.