Monday, July 13, 2009

Bottle Message #2: Found!

I blogged on June 9th about a bottle message launched from the Kure Beach (NC) Fishing Pier; I just received an email about its recovery:

Hello Mr. Evans,
My son, Cody B.,(redacted by blog owner for privacy) found one of your bottles while camping on the North End of Carolina Beach (marker 6). He could not respond to your message personally, as he is traveling (camping) extensively through the next few weeks and he asked me to respond.

The sprite bottle was found in good condition with no label on July 9th around noon while he was surfing.

He gave the $5 to a homeless couple who was camping on the beach.

Good luck in your research endeavors,
Bonny


So I'm two for two on bottle message recovery, with this one travelling just a few miles up the coast from Kure Beach to Carolina Beach, apparently landing in a spot desolate enough to escape detection for most of a month.

Thanks to Cody B. and his mother Bonny for responding to my bottle message.

3 comments:

Barco Sin Vela II said...

Very kind of them to give the five bucks to a homeless person.

Remember that afternoon school film "Paddle to the Sea"?

Bob said...

@Barco Sin Vela II: that is one film I can't recall ever seeing. Could you summarize the plot for me?

Barco Sin Vela II said...

It was made in Canada, I think. Young kid living in the middle of the mountains dreams of going to sea.

Carves a little solid wood canoe with an Indian driving. Cuts a line in the bottom and pours molten lead for stability. Paints the canoe.

Sets the canoe on a hill in the middle of winter.

Spring thaw comes and we watch the canoe makes its way to the Ocean.

By the way, these words are carved in the bottom:

"I am 'Paddle to the Sea', please put me back in the water."

The film made a strong impression, we are talking about forty years.