Sunday, October 31, 2010

Restaurant Review: Log Cabin BBQ, Albemarle, NC

Saturday I was flying solo, my partner-in-crime Sara was battling an illness of some sort. I decided to go to the Albemarle, North Carolina area to visit Morrow Mountain State Park to see fall foliage. There are also a couple of barbecue restaurants in the Albemarle area that I haven't yet visited. Both of these are on US 52.

I first tried Whispering Pines BBQ:



Whispering Pines BBQ is a very small restaurant, not much bigger than a classic diner, with a half-dozen booths and a lunch counter; they also have a huge woodpile out back, always a promising sight to a barbecue lover:



Unfortunately for me, Whispering Pines was already full of diners at just after noon, all booths and counter space taken, so I headed up the road to the other BBQ place on US 52, Log Cabin BBQ:





Here's the menu:



Aaaaand here's the food, a pork plate:



The pork was a good mix of outside brown and inside white, chopped fine. It was a little dry, so I added some of the Lexington-style sauce: mostly vinegar, but some tomato and red pepper flakes; pretty good sauce, actually. Since the "roll" listed on the menu turned out to be a toasted hamburger bun, I used part of the pork to make a sandwich. Fries were the usual crinkle-cuts, and the hush puppies were edible, if a little bland. The drink, a Diet Coke, included a small pitcher so I could pour my own refills, a nice touch. The waitress was polite, friendly and prompt.

I'll give Log Cabin BBQ a 3 on my 5-rating of BBQ restaurants: 3 out of 5: average; reasonably good food, moderate effort by staff/management.

No comments: