Monday, February 13, 2012

King Solomon's Mines?

Well, the Queen of Sheba's, anyway.

British archaeologists have struck gold with a discovery that may solve the mystery of where the Queen of Sheba unearthed her fabled treasures.

According to the Bible, the ruler of Sheba, which spanned modern-day Ethiopa and Yemen, travelled to King Solomon in Jerusalem, bringing 120 talents (four-and-half tons) of gold.

Now an ancient goldmine, together with the ruins of a temple, has been found on the high Gheralta plateau in northern Ethiopia, part of the Queen's former territory.


You'd have to figure that the mines have been worked out by now, but who knows?

4 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

I shouldda stayed in archaeology...

ProudHillbilly said...

Very, very cool.

I see you are reading "A Walk in the Woods". Made me laugh out loud.

Bob said...

@ProudHillbilly: I've read Bryson before, but not this particular one. It's one of blogger Ann Althouse's favorites. I've often thought of a long hike, but not on the AT; I'd rather take the old pilgrim's route along northern Spain to the shrine of St. James at Santiago de Compostela.

ProudHillbilly said...

Some of the folks from my church did part of the St. James route last year and loved doing it.

I so relate to Bryson in this book. All imaginings of how cool it would be smashed by the reality of it.