Thursday, February 09, 2012

Musical Interlude

The Cowboy Junkies performing Vic Chesnutt's Flirted With You All My Life.



I am a man
I am self-aware
And everywhere I go
You're always right there with me

I flirted with you all my life
Even kissed you once or twice
And to this day I swear it was nice
But clearly I was not ready

When you touched a friend of mine
I thought I would lose my mind
But I found out with time that
really I was was not ready, no no

Oh, Death
Oh, Death
Oh, Death
Really, I'm not ready

Oh, Death you hector me
Decimate those dear to me
Tease me with your sweet release
You are cruel and you are constant

When my mom was cancer sick
She fought but then succumb to it
But you made her beg for it
Lord Jesus, please I'm ready.

Oh, Death
Oh, Death
Oh, Death
Really, I'm not ready



Chesnutt, a partial quadriplegic from age 18, attempted suicide on at least four different occasions, and finally succumbed to an overdose of pills in 2009. Presumably by then he was ready.

3 comments:

Walt Taylor said...

Hope you didn't mean that to be flippant. This was a brave song by a brave man.

Bob said...

@Walt Taylor: I was being more sad than anything else, Walt, because my own mother died in May of last year, and I still miss her. I wasn't familiar with Chesnutt or his music before. I suffer from depression myself, so despair and thoughts of suicide are quite familiar to me.

On a lighter note, Margo Timmons slurs her vocals so much in this cover that I swore I heard "I am silverware" and "Oh, damn, oh, damn." Had to get the lyrics so I could understand the pathos of the song.

Walt Taylor said...

Ha! She did kinda slur the words.

Sorry about your mother. And your depression. Hope you're treating it.