Saturday, March 22, 2008

New BBQ Shack In Town!

Outlaw BBQ Shack. I'll be trying it out next Friday, probably. I haven't had Texas-style brisket in years, and I miss it. North Carolina makes fine barbecue, and Sonny's will always be a sentimental favorite (it started in my home town of Gainesville, FL), but I really like the taste of Texas-style brisket. First place I tasted brisket was at a Luther's, which is a Texas house that expanded into Virginia in the mid-80's before experiencing problems and shrinking back to the Texas area. Luther's has good brisket: custom-sliced before your eyes.

Later I lived briefly in Galveston, Texas, and ate barbecue at several places on the island. There was a place down on the Strand that sold crap barbecue, but further up toward where the Strand ended and residential Galveston began there was a combination butcher shop/barbecue house that sold really great brisket, with the bread home-baked. It was called KC Marketplace, something like that.

Later here in Charlotte we had another Texas-style place open up briefly on Albemarle Road, but it failed. Can't remember the name of that one. Brisket just doesn't sell well in North Carolina. Even the powerhouse Sonny's had to tailor its sauces to Carolina tastes, and the original Sonny's sauce is now only third in popularity after two "sweet" Carolina sauces.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Outlaw BBQ Shack in Matthews has the best beef brisket you will find. I am a brisket nut and have traveled to some of the best brisket places in Texas and I can tell you for certain that Outlaw's brisket is as good as any of them. You really have to try it.