Thursday, July 23, 2009

Encounter

Had someone purporting to be a soldier enter the hotel a few minutes ago, wanting a room. He was black, wearing a green digital camoflage uniform. Groggy and sleepy at nearly 2 in the morning, I wasn't particularly observant as to whether he was Army or Marine, or his rank; I didn't see insignia on his arms or collar, so I can't even be sure if he was officer or enlisted.

I do know he was offensively arrogant, though. When I plugged the code for government/military into our computer and quoted him the resulting rate of $97 and tax, he flatly replied "negative," and proceeded to lecture me that he knew the military rates, that he stayed at hotels across the country, that he was a soldier back from war, etc. His lack of humility pissed me off, and analyzing it now, I realize I was unconsciously channelling my Confederate forebears, confronting the arrogant black face of the Reconstruction soldier lording it over the defeated Southern populace.

"I'm a vet myself," I told him, "and I never acted as if my service entitled me to a hotel rate lower than anyone else in the US."

"Tell you what I'll do then," he sneered, "I'll go somewhere else, that's my prerogative."

"Then do so," said I.

1 comment:

MauserMedic said...

Myself, I'll use it if it's available, but it's rarely worth being a dick to do so. Sounds like an asshole who also happens to be in the military. Unfortunate, but it does happen.