Tuesday, March 03, 2015

As For Me, I Go and Wash My Hands

"After You Shake Someone’s Hand, See If They Do This Afterward."

A handshake can be used to interpret a lot about a person, but there might be even more of an exchange of information going on than you realize, according to a recent study.

The next time you shake someone’s hand, see if they reach up and touch their face at some point shortly afterward. Scientists from the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel found that some people are unconsciously sniffing subtle chemicals from the other person’s hand.


I occasionally get a guest at the hotel that wants to shake my hand, and it always seems to be the grungiest, nastiest individuals that do it. I'll usually finish the check-in/checkout process, then go to the restroom to wash my hands.

Even worse, though, is one of those individuals that pulls an ancient, smelly wallet out of his back pocket, licks his fingers, and then counts off the cash to pay for the room, rather than present a credit card. One of these days I'm going to snap and either hold out a tray for him to place the money on, or don housekeeper's gloves to receive it. Disgusting!

3 comments:

ProudHillbilly said...

Apparently some people also keep their money in their shoes...

First thing I do after I leave Mass is go wash my hands, having been careful to keep them away from my face since the sign of peace.

Jennifer said...

I spent a year as a teller supervisor at a bank. Cash is repulsive. People keep it everywhere and are not shy about handing sweat soaked bills to bank tellers. One of the new tellers had a bad habit of licking her fingers to count money. Lost that habit when she broke out with sores around her mouth.
And then there was the still wet, blood soaked $100 that came in through the drive-thru that I was covering that Saturday.
Yeah, notice I'm not a banker anymore.

Old NFO said...

Yeah, I don't even want to know where some of the money has been...