Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Warhorses

For some reason, for the last couple of days I've wanted to hear the piano concertos of Grieg and Tchaikovsky (#1 for the latter composer, of course). I don't have them on CD or on my computer, although I might have an LP of the Tchaikovsky. I'm not going to hook up my turntable (up in the attic) just to satisfy a craving, however. I'll see if the public library has them in CD form I can check out, and if not, I'll buy them.

The title of this post comes from the lazy sort of journalism done by classical music writers. You won't see pieces like those mentioned above unless the word warhorse is featured somewhere in the review. Well, let's be blunt: classical music is listened to by fewer and fewer people each year, and if it wasn't supported in the US on public radio and TV would probably not get any airplay at all. With such a dwindling audience, using terms like warhorse is rather trite.

No comments: