Friday, February 06, 2009

Gun Quandary

I filed my tax returns, and am contemplating adding to my gun collection with the refund. My problem is that I only have enough refund for one nice gun, and there are two that I like a lot. Opinions on the quandary I find myself in would be appreciated.

Gun #1: Colt or Springfield Armory 1911A1 in .45ACP. Either brand is fine, as long as it is in stainless steel. The specific models are the Colt 1991A1 in stainless, or the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911A1 in stainless. I've owned 1911's in the past, enjoy shooting them, and yearn to have one again.

Gun #2: Kahr/Auto-Ordnance .30 M1 Carbine. Unlike a CMP rifle, the Auto-Ordnance M1 Carbine is new manufacture, approximately the same cost as the 1911. I've never owned one of these handy little rifles, and they are the sort of gun that might fall under a renewed Assault Weapons Ban (the magazines might, anyway).

Note: Choosing the M1 carbine at this time doesn't mean I won't purchase a 1911A1 at a later date.

5 comments:

Frank W. James said...

If you get the Springfield make sure you are getting one with the 'one piece' barrel made in PA, and not the made in Brazil two piece barrel. They are found with either. The Pennsylvania made barrels are good, as in really good and their guns shoot. I've had two, still have one. A friend talked me out of one.

No comment on the Kahr/Auto Ordnance M-1 Carbine.

All The Best,
Frank W. James

Xavier said...

Colt. 1911. Stainless. Series 70. Shoot. Enjoy.

Not that you need me to tell you what to do..........

TOTWTYTR said...

I'd go with the 1911 as unless they have improved substantially the Kahr M1s have a shaky reputation.

If you want a M1 Carbine, the CMP route is recommended by everyone I know who knows this stuff.

Anonymous said...

Two things.

1. I have 2 1911s, but I carry the Springfield XD in 45 ACP - the best of both worlds...

2. www.tngunowners.com - tell 'em Ghostrider sent you.

Anonymous said...

For G*d's sake DON'T BUY THE KAHR ! I've owned one and currently own a Springer 1911 and know from whence I speak.