Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I Would Have Paid To See That MacGyver Episode

A man who attempted to amputate his own arm after it became stuck in a furnace door says he was inspired by TV detective MacGyver.

Really, he was indeed very resourceful; he managed to get hold of knives to do the cutting, managed to improvise a tourniquet, and managed to drink some water from the furnace. While it might not have been ultimately successful, it is a good tribute to his will to live and his resourcefulness.

And really, how many of you carry objects with you that would serve in an emergency to do an amputation? Shoelaces? Belt or suspenders? key chain strap, maybe a thong necklace? Do you carry a knife to do the cutting? maybe a saw for the bone, unless you planned to disjoint yourself? I myself have a keychain strap that would serve, and a knife is always on my belt or in my pocket, but first I'd be inclined to blow the whistle that is attached to my keyring. I'd blow it for a good two days before I decided on any cutting, you can bet on that. And who knows, maybe the keychain strap could serve as a turnbuckle, similar to the one Jackie Chan used as an escape device in Shanghai Noon.

But the will to live has to be there, first. Without that, all the tools in the world won't suffice.

No comments: