Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Two Out of Three Ain't Bad

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash." - - Winston Churchill

Over at Radley Balko's place, Peter Moskos has some kind words about the lash - - flogging.

How many fewer people would be in prison if corporal punishment was reinstituted? And before you reject the idea out of hand, remember that Heinlein advocated it in his book Starship Troopers.

Now, I will readily advocate rum, and I think that we could save money on incarcerations if we utilitized flogging for certain offenses, but sodomy? If you're talking drag-you-into-the-woods-and-make-you-squeal-like-a-pig sodomy, I've never been in favor of that:



So I'm 2 out of 3 on Rum, Sodomy and the Lash. Two out of three ain't bad.

No comments: