Tuesday, August 02, 2011

It's Rarely a Water Moccasin

Joan, among others, has linked to a YouTube video titled Snake On a Car! that purports to show a water moccasin. It ain't a water moccasin. In this case it looks like a Brown Water Snake, which is often confused with a water moccasin.

Of course, to snake haters, there is only one type of snake: the late humorist Lewis Grizzard called it the Dreaded Copperheaded Water Rattler.

Anyway, see for yourself. I think I'll email Dean Ripa at the Cape Fear Serpentarium and have him positively identify it.

4 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Could be worse: could have been a rattle-headed copper moccasin. Nasty little things, I hear. Heh.

Anonymous said...

rat snake. looks like a gray rat snake. non-poisonous, mild-mannered.

Bob said...

@Anonymous: I didn't even think of a Gray Rat Snake, they aren't common here in NC. I wondered if it could be a Fox Snake, since I didn't know where the YouTube video originated from.

BobG said...

Looks like lunch to me.