Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Stars And Stripes

The newspaper, that is.

This article on Hadrian's Wall in northern Great Britain is the sort of thing that got me interested in reading newspapers, back in the mid-1980's when I was living in Rota, Spain, as a military dependent. I had never enjoyed newspapers before then; too much of a bother to mess with broadsheet pages, the opening, folding, smearing of ink. In Spain I was introduced to The Stars and Stripes, the military's newspaper, which was tabloid-sized and had no advertisements, so it was densely packed every day with real news, and informative travel articles such as the one I've linked. And when various newspapers in the US would censor stories or cartoon strips (Doonesbury and Bloom County, for example) The Stars and Stripes never did.

It's a good paper, and it's why I have it on my RSS feeds to this very day.

No comments: