Thursday, August 18, 2011

Note To My Fellow Bloggers

On a point of Netiquette:

hat tip: In the 2000s, the term "hat tip" (often abbreviated to "HT" or "h/t") rose to prominence in the blogosphere to acknowledge someone who has made a significant contribution toward an effort, or someone who drew attention to something new or interesting. It is considered good netiquette when sharing a link or news item to give a hat tip to the person from whom you learned of the item. The on-line versions of the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times regularly give hat tips to users who bring ideas for articles to their attention. (via Wikipedia.)

Now, I know I get a lot more readers than commenters here at The Drawn Cutlass, and that probably a lot of that reflects the non-PC (not to say racist) nature of some of my subject matter. If you don't want to comment or blogroll me, that's fine. When I see blog posts and material quite similar to mine on other people's blogs without the common courtesy of a hat tip, though, it tends to irk me. I won't name names here or otherwise get involved in a flamewar, but I'd appreciate if you see something at The Drawn Cutlass that inspires you enough to put it on your own blog, a h/t pointing back here would be appreciated. I'll do as much for you, and have.

No comments: