Friday, January 23, 2009

Camera Experiment #4: Fourth Time The Charm

Let's face it, the black plastic grips that Ruger furnishes on its single-action Vaquero look like crap, even though they are perfectly functional. Ruger knows that most people will buy custom grips, so they don't spend as much on handgun grips for the single-actions as they did in years past. (I miss the old walnut grips they used to furnish, myself).

So I found myself with ugly grips. On the Ruger website are some lovely faux-ivory grips with the Ruger medallion: I ordered a pair. They are lovely, but don't provide a firm grip on the pistol, so I went looking again.

I found checkered faux-ivory grips from Ajax grips. This is a step in the right direction, but the fit was abysmal, and the checkering was done as part of the molding process, so the checkering wasn't sharp or attractive.

Finally I went to Hogue grips, and ordered a pair in Pau Ferro wood. Hogue does their checkering in-house, it is all done by hand. The checkering is sharp and the grip, when mounted on my Vaquero, provides a positive grip that I no longer have worries about.

Here's the pic:

1 comment:

Xavier said...

Good work Bob! I've found nickel guns to be the most challenging to photograph.