Friday, January 30, 2009

EDC

You'll see the term EDC on knife forums, it stands for Every Day Carry (Knife). For knife enthusiasts, it's the one in your pocket or on your belt, or somewhere on your body as you go about your everyday business.

Here's a selection of mine. I've numbered them so you can identify them as I discuss them.



#1 is the US military folding utility knife, often called the demo knife. It's the same pattern as the Boy Scout, but in stainless steel and with stainless steel handle scales. Mine was made by Camillus.

#2 is a Wenger Soldier model. I acquired this one in 2002, it was made in 2001 and is dated 01 on the main blade. I've carred it for the last 7 years, ever since the 9/11 attacks, until quite recently.

#3 is a Leatherman tool. It's the original model that Leatherman produced back in the mid-1980's, I've kept it all these years.

#4 is a Victorinox Safari. Except for the red handle scales, this is the same knife issued to soldiers in the German army. This is a discontinued Victorinox pattern, I believe, at least with these red handle scales.

#5 is a WWII web pouch for .45 auto magazines. It's a good way to carry these two tools, and they are normally to be found in my briefcase.

#6 is a Case Boy Scout pattern, although Case calls it a camper's knife. I like yellow-handled knives because they are easy to spot if you happen to drop them on the ground, unless you're unfortunate enough to drop it in a field of dandelions.

#7 is a Schrade Old Timer single-blade locking Trapper. This is old production, before Schrade went bankrupt and reorganized with Chinese-built knives. This one was made in the USA, and the blade is carbon steel, as proper Old Timers should be. The very point of the Old Timer brand was to hearken back to life in the early 20th century, when every man and boy carried a pocket knife and they were all made of carbon steel.

#8 is a Victorinox Standard I purchased while living in Spain. I don't think it's made anymore; it's one of the few Victorinox knives that was made without those horrible toothpicks and tweezers in the handle scales, which is the reason I like it so much. I carried this one for years.

#9 is a very similar knife made by Wenger. It, too, lacks toothpick and tweezers, and it, too, was carried for a number of years.

#10 is a Case Copperlock with yellow handles and carbon steel blade, this one made of Case's proprietary Chrome Vanadium (CV) steel. Case unfortunately doesn't make many of its knives with this steel any more.

#11 is my current EDC knife, a genuine Boy Scout pattern knife by the Ulster Knife Company. It has bone scales and carbon steel blades, as is right and proper for a man's knife. It also has a lanyard attached. A lanyard serves two main purposes: it allows you to grab the knife out of your pocket, and when you are in a situation where you might lose the knife, you can slip your hand through the lanyard before working with it. I purchased this knife used on eBay, because you can't find a Boy Scout pattern in carbon steel any more. No one makes them.

#12 is a Victorinox Farmer. It's the newest of my EDC knives, and I'm not happy with it because of the little eye that the lanyard loop goes through. This little eye wears out a pocket. I may just file that eye off, which will make using a lanyard with this knife impossible.


Not pictured is the Buck 110 I carried in my Navy days. I still have it, but don't want to trudge up to the attic to go get it. It's an old one, from around 1982, the black sheath is well worn, and the blade has an early version of a one-hand-opening aid on it, called a flickit.

There you have it. My EDC knives.

No comments: