Sunday, May 30, 2010

Restaurant Review: Courtney's BBQ & Seafood, Clover, SC

Saturday saw Sara and I on the road to South Carolina, where we had a notion to eat at Courtney's BBQ & Seafood just outside the town of Clover. We had passed by it on a couple of previous occasions, but this time made a point to go in.

Here's what the outside looks like:





You'll notice that outside where the pits are that these fellows pump iron while tending the BBQ:



Going inside we notice that they have competed in BBQ contests, and brought home some trophies:



That trophy on the bottom left says "3rd in Brisket," so I'll definitely be returning to try that out. On this trip, though, I tried a plate of the pulled pork:



Sara had a pulled pork sandwich, and we shared the hush puppies:



The barbecue was properly flavorful and moist, and served in generous portions, both on my plate and on Sara's sandwich. Two different sauces are offered, a sweet red sauce and a yellow-brown mustard-based sauce. I tried both of these and found them to be quite good. The hush puppies were tasty and fresh, and, in keeping with my theory on hush puppies, properly shaped like dog turds. Sides were good, Sara was happy with her baked potato, my french fries were hot and crisp, right out of the oil; crinkle-cut, but that is the usual BBQ french fry.

The waitress was fairly attentive, being a bit slow to fill up our drinks on one occasion, but was responsive and knowledgeable about the menu; when I was given a soda refill out of a pitcher that turned out to be flat, she apologized and corrected the problem immediately. She knew which desserts were made on-site and which were brought in. (I had an oreo cookie cream pie, which was brought in; Sara had Mississippi Mud pie, made in-house).

Courtney's has an extensive selection of fried foods in addition to the BBQ, so it's possible to find something on the menu even if you're not a BBQ fan.

I'll give Courtney's BBQ & Seafood a 4 out of 5 on my ratings scale: 4 out of 5: good; tasty, well-prepared food, staff alert, restaurant clean. We won't necessarily journey all the way to Clover just to eat there, but will drop in if we are in the area, which is the case with many of the restaurants I have reviewed.

No comments: