Monday, August 16, 2010

MY Favorite Country Songs?

Borepatch is asking for readers to disclose their favorite country songs. Here's a few of mine:

First, from the forgotten songstress of the early 80's, Gail Davies:



Next, Alabama's first hit, and still my favorite of all of theirs:



From around the Bicentennial, John Conlee and his first hit:



The beautiful late-80's harmonies of Baillie and the Boys, and their first hit:



After Gail Davies disappeared and broke my heart by doing so, I consoled myself with another beautiful lady with similar deep, rich voice: Kathy Mattea and one of her earliest hits:



I didn't like a lot of songs by The Judds, but I liked this one, even though it was probably responsible for keeping Gail Davies' Jagged Edge of a Broken Heart from climbing higher in the charts than it did: Why Not Me?



I can't forget Don Williams:



That's probably enough for now. You'll notice I prefer the girl singers, and I love beautiful vocal harmonies. A lot of these were first or very early efforts by the artists involved, when their work was fresh and they weren't tired or jaded.