Monday, May 21, 2012

Live Fast, Die Young

He ignored his wake-up call:

A 17-year-old who died Friday in a head-on collision after fleeing from an officer had his license revoked only hours earlier on a speeding charge, Concord police said Sunday.

Joshua Mark Stanish lived in northern Charlotte, near the Highland Creek Golf Club. His Mitsubishi Gallant collided with two other vehicles at about 10:20 p.m. Friday, injuring four others.

Concord police said Stanish was first pulled over by a state trooper about 5:20 p.m. Friday, on N.C. 49, near the Cabarrus Events Arena.

He was arrested and charged with speeding 85 mph in a 55 mph zone and reckless driving. Stanish went before a magistrate, who revoked his license.

Only five hours later, a Concord police officer tried to stop Stanish for unspecified traffic violations near Derita Road and Concord Mills Boulevard. Stanish’s home was less than two miles away. Police say he fled and struck two other vehicles less than a mile away on Cox Mill Road near Edenbury Lane.

Stanish died at the scene. He was the only occupant of his car.

What a waste.


Unknown said...

I remember reading the day I found out about Josh's death. I am writing about him now, reliving memories, etc and came across this article once again. How did you find the information? Did you know him? What did you mean by he ignored his wake up call?

Josh was a good friend, I am asking out of purely curiosity.

Bob said...

@Colleen Heberle: I got the story from The Charlotte Observer. When I said that he ignored his wakeup call, I mean to say that, having been caught by police, arrested and taken before a magistrate (who revoked his driver's license) he shouldn't have then gotten behind the wheel again. The arrest and trip to the magistrate were the wakeup call. Most sensible people would not have gotten behind the wheel again after that.

Sorry about your friend's loss. Had he not ignored the message sent by his arrest and license revocation he would probably still be alive.