Thursday, April 18, 2013

Radioactive Lava!

Corium, a type of lava that is created when a nuclear reactor melts down:

One of the things I enjoy most is running across fascinating information when I’m not even looking for it. Case in point, today’s subject. I was doing some research for my class on Fukushima Dai’ichi and Chernobyl when I ran into some references to lava. “Lava?” I thought, “Why are they talking about lava when I thought I was trying to find out about nuclear accidents?” Lo and behold, what do I find but an entire research field that has been making manmade lava for decades. Sure, we’ve seen some of the recent manmade lava flows done at Syracuse University and small-scale lava in experiments for some time, but here I was finding research that involved a ton (literally) of manmade lava … and moreover, these lava have been made by accident on a number of occasions with tragic consequences.

Click the link to read the rest. Here's an image of radioactive corium lava produced when the Chernobyl nuclear reactor melted down:



Looks like hamburger or sausage in this pic, don't it?

No comments: