Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Arrival

Retired my old watch after 20+ years, purchased a very similar watch from the same company, L.L. Bean:



Field watch. I have definite prejudices about watches. I want high contrast between the hands and the face for easy reading, I want a date window, and I want a 50's-style expansion band for comfort and easy on/off. Band on this new one is aftermarket, the watch came from Bean's with a leather band. This one is upsized a bit at 42mm, which makes it easier to read with my aging eyes. Let's hope it gives the sort of exemplary service its predecessor did.

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

They work, and are affordable... Can't beat it with a stick...

Ajdshootist said...

I still got my first watch i got on my 12th birthday im now 65 it still works but i now wear my fathers watch he got for his 21st birthday he was born in 1919 only loses about 5 min every 7 days or so.

Bob said...

@Ajdshootist: Is your father's watch a pocket watch or a wristwatch?

Ajdshootist said...

Wristwatch still got the same strap on it as when he stopped wearing it sometime in the 70s also got his fathers silver fob watch he was given on his 21st just need a clean not used it in ten years along with the double albert chain with a fob on the other chain thats later its a peace eagle also had a vesta case as well.

Ajdshootist said...

Just remembered father worn his wristwatch all through the second world war service in North Africa and twice in Greece,im wearing it now the only thing that has been changed is the winder fell of as did the second hand but friend i have known about five years got his repairman to find suitable replacements and fitted them for free still got its oridgenal glass.