Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Other Than That It Was a Great Airplane

"The U.S. Navy gave it to the Marines. Pilots thought it was a sweet plane to fly, but noticed that the wheel struts sometimes broke, that the engine leaked oil, and that the guns sometimes didn't fire. And when they flew it against the nimble fighters of Japan, too often they didn't come back."

Some parts of a Brewster F2A Buffalo have been found in 10 feet of water in the lagoon at Midway Atoll.

The Buffalo is widely recognized as one of the worst airplanes to fly during WWII. There's only one left in existence, in a museum in Finland.

Pic:



Sort of short and fat, isn't it? I remember playing with model planes as a kid and the Buffalo was one of my favorites, for some reason.

4 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Might have been because it was easy to hold onto (ask me how I know). :) Also the Corsair & the Wildcat were among my favorites from that era.

Murphy's Law said...

Ditto. Brewster made Corsairs next, and they were sweet. Sadly, no one thought to set one aside for me.

ProudHillbilly said...

Stumpy...

MauserMedic said...

Looks like an overweight Wildcat.