Wednesday, October 30, 2013

I'd Like One of Those Belts, Myself.

That would be a belt made from the hide of an Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake.

The Eastern Diamondback is, in my opinion, the most beautiful of the US's rattlesnakes. It's also one of the few rattlesnakes in the US that gets long enough to provide leather to make a belt out of. The conservation status of the Eastern Diamondback is currently "least concern," but that is probably inaccurate, and putting them on the endangered species list as at least threatened would probably be wise. They've been wiped out in Louisiana, and here in NC they are on the state's endangered species list.

Still, if I happened across a fresh roadkilled specimen 5 feet long on a trip to the NC coast, I'd certainly stop and skin it out and save it to tan for a belt.

Found this hilarious bogus edit on Wikipedia:

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Wiped out in LA my ass... somebody isn't looking very hard...