Friday, October 11, 2013

"Now Boy, Are You Sure That You Can Skin Griz?"*

"Skin him, Pilgrim, and I'll get you another!"

A Russian man attacked by a brown bear in eastern Siberia said he escaped with only minor wounds after using his knife to kill the animal.

Sergei Rumyantsev, 55, said he was riding his horse near a paddock in the Siberian forests about 35 miles from his home in Eselyakh when he was "suddenly, unexpectedly" attacked by the bear, The Independent (Britain) reported Friday.

"I had a rifle in my saddle but I didn't have time to get it out. I only had a knife at hand," Rumyantsev said.

He said he was able to stab the bear while his hunting dog bit the wild animal and held it back.


Bears, although fearsome in the extreme, can be killed by men armed with a knife; Ben Lilly, for example, did it often.

*reference to a favorite scene from one of my favorite movies:

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

We just watched Jeremiah Johnson a couple nights ago. I like it as much now as when I first saw it in an Air Force movie theater in 1974 in Athens, Greece.