Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Treasure More Precious Than Gold Or Diamonds

An entire Jerry Clower Concert.

Part 1:



Part 2:




I discovered Jerry in the early 1970's when I was a young teenager in Melrose, Florida. I had an AM radio in my room, and at night I could catch the signal from WBT way up in Charlotte, North Carolina. The midnight-to-six a.m. disc jockey for WBT was Truckin' Tom Miller, and he'd play Jerry Clower records - - the first one I ever heard was "Coon Huntin' Monkey." In the Catholic school I was attending at the time I had a buddy named Rusty who was a Jerry Clower fan, and he loaned me some 8-track tapes. Later that year I heard that Jerry Clower was going to be in concert in Gainesville, so I made my father buy tickets for us to see him. The concert was general admission, I was first in line at the door with my dad. When the doors opened I dragged my father to the front row, and we had a good view of Jerry when he finally appeared (there were three opening bands before Jerry got there). My dad and I laughed ourselves sick that night, as did everyone else in the concert hall. It's one of my fondest memories.

3 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

I miss that old boy; he was a good'un.

Old NFO said...

Some fond memories there... And STILL laughing! Thanks!!!

James said...

"shoot up here and give one of us some relief!" Priceless!