Friday, December 16, 2011

Christopher Hitchens, 1949-2011: R.I.P.

Story.

A great loss. I exchanged emails with him on occasion, usually just a line or two to wish him a happy birthday or welcome him as a citizen of the US. Only time he ever replied sharply was after the death of televangelist Jerry Falwell, when Hitchens wrote one of his usual savage send-offs; he said that had he died first, Falwell and his ilk would not spare sharp words about him, so he saw no reason to spare Falwell in his turn.

He was remarkable in his ability to see matters clearly, and write about them skillfully. The only bugbear he seemed to have was his aversion to religion, and that is the only place that his usually clear and careful analysis would be clouded by personal animus.

I've been dreading this day. I'll miss his writings and his television appearances.

Thanks for all the good writings, Christopher. I guess you know by now if there really is an afterlife or not. If there is one, I hope it's a pleasant place and you're happy there. If there isn't, then it isn't any more than you expected.

Update: A great video clip posted at Amy Alkon's place.

No comments: