Friday, December 02, 2011

A Tune From My Navy Years

I was in the US Navy from 1980-1984. I went to boot camp in Orlando, Florida; that particular base has since closed, which is a pity, because sailors on liberty in their dress uniforms in Walt Disney World were a great public relations stroke. The theme song for my boot company was Queen's Another One Bites the Dust, which was appropriate to the number of guys that fell by the wayside and washed out of the company. Bob Seger's Against the Wind was another popular tune from that year.

After boot camp I went to technical school in Pensacola, Florida. The chow hall had a sound system, and they'd play music all day long. Two songs I specifically remember as chow hall songs are:



And:



While over on the country charts you might hear:



It was all good. I was young and in the Navy. I never wanted anything more.

(This story about a Hall and Oates concert over in Durham this weekend inspired this post).

No comments: